Friday, December 28, 2018

I Know You Love Me



Going through Felix's journals after his death Eli found the following entry written years before his cancer diagnosis. It is written exactly as it appears in his journal. It was read by Eli at his funeral as a glimpse into Felix's thoughts on death and what may exist afterwards.

I Know You Love Me

 
On the train back to NY from Charleston
I glanced out the window and saw
An old chimney in the middle of a field
With a group of matching headstones
Around the hearth
 
You struggle with the word "Love" and
What it means to you
 
I don't know
I feel it
 
Maybe too much                                   Sometimes
 
As soon as I had looked, the burial
ground was speeding away out of view
 
But I can see it in my mind in vivid
detail
The shadows of the headstones
falling across the space that once
held the warmth of
what had been home
 
Are we buried next to the ones we love
as a monument of that love?
Can I love in death?                       I want to
 
When I Pass, look me in the eyes and
Say
 
                                         "I know you love me"





1 comment: