Saturday, December 29, 2018

Friendship





Felix was my next door neighbor on Walden Street in Concord. He would always knock on my door and ask my Mom if I wanted to come out and play. We would build gnome and fairy houses out of the willow branches and moss in our backyards until it was too dark to see, checking them daily for wear from our mystical tenants. Aside from being an excellent co-landlord for magical creatures, Felix personally read me my induction letter to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, British accent and all. I still have the ceramic snow owl dish he gave me from his Mom's ceramic shop. On purging days I would always raid their wares to see what other treasures I might find. I watched Pirates of Penzance and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat for the first time in his kitchen. We would communicate through knocks on the walls from time to time until we finally upgraded to walky-talkies. My childhood wouldn't have been the same without his friendship and some of these fond memories I'm fortunate to keep.


Fairyhouse flower arrangement made by Sarah Brow-Hill and Jill Brow in honor of Felix

No comments:

Post a Comment