Saturday, January 12, 2019

Ceremony at Forefathers Burying Ground


 

After the funeral service we took part in a ceremonial processional to our family plot at Forefathers Burying Ground. Back in the early days of Chelmsford, this is how the dead were honored. It's how Felix's ancestors were buried. It's been so long since a processional to Forefathers has been done that neither the church nor the Town of Chelmsford could remember the last time.


Having a cremation burial at Forefathers is a rare honor in and of itself as only the earliest families of Chelmsford are buried there. There were only 2 burials in 2018, Felix and Milly Adams (who happens to be a cousin). Of the 9 earliest burials at Forefathers, occurring before 1700, 7 are Felix's ancestors on his mother's side.



Once gathered graveside, Reverend Ellen read the following Navajo prayer song


                                  I Walk in Beauty


Beauty in front of me, Beauty behind me,
Beauty Above me, Beauty below me,
Beauty all around me,
I walk in Beauty…..
In the house of long life, there I wander.
In the house of happiness, there I wander.
Beauty before me,
Beauty behind me,
Beauty above me ,
Beauty below me,
Beauty all around me,
In old age traveling, with it I wander.
On the beautiful trail I am, with it I wander.
In beauty, it is begun,
In beauty, it is finished.
 
 

Mourners were then invited up to leave a flower and say their last goodbyes.



 



Jeff Westbrook

















Frankie and Rebekah


















 
Lillian and Jack

 
Grandma "GG"
 
Grandpa Ben
 
Auntie Sarah
 

Elicia and Tatiana
 

 
 
Zak Stains in Felix's scarf
 
 
Julie, Lexy, and Connor
 
 
Tyler Brice
 

And then something magical happened. On a day that was forecast to be cloudy but increasingly sunny after mid-morning, clouds rapidly moved in and the sky opened up. Felix had made magic again! Timed perfectly for maximum performance value, it was truly one of the most moving and powerful things I have ever experienced.

 
 
 
The faces of the mourners begin to change as they realize what Felix has done in bringing the rain
 
 
 

As Reverend Ellen said a final blessing, the mourners huddled together and endured the magical, cleansing rain. A sense of peace washed over everyone as Felix made his presence known.

 
Even in death, Felix brought people together, especially siblings
 
Mercer and Brow-Hill siblings get comfort and strength from each other
 
A powerful and spiritual moment for many
 
The recessional walk back to the church while even onlooking gravestones seem to huddle together for comfort

 All photos by David H. Brow, Felix's grandfather and longtime Lowell Sun photographer



No comments:

Post a Comment