Wednesday, August 7, 2013

World Breastfeeding Week 2013: What You Can Do Today



Today is the last day of World Breastfeeding Week 2013. I'm sad because I feel like I didn't do much this year. Like my other post on WBW, I am submitting this to Mothering's "Blog About Breastfeeding" contest. But still, I feel I should do more.

This year's theme, Breastfeeding Support: Close to Mothers, is an especially important one for me to take action on because I am a breastfeeding counselor. The time is now for me to establish myself as a breastfeeding counselor in my new home in New York after moving a few months ago.

In addition to action I can take as a breastfeeding counselor, I am creating this blog post with ideas that others can implement to support breastfeeding.

5 Simple Ways to Support Breastfeeding Today

1) Support
As a breastfeeding counselor in a new area, I pledge to investigate local areas to hold monthly Gatherings to support breastfeeding mothers. I will also look for ways I can reach low-income families, such as at food pantries and WIC offices. I will contact Nursing Mother's Council to get my contact information updated.

For others who are not breastfeeding counselors, a suggestion would be to attend a local breastfeeding support group. It is very meaningful for new and expectant mothers to hear the experiences of more experienced mothers.

2) Boycott
I have been boycotting Nestle for around 14 years for their violation of the WHO Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes. It is not always easy because they own a lot of different things, and they buy and sell other companies. So, occasionally I still mess up and accidentally buy Nestle. I pledge to check the most current Nestle boycott information for World Breastfeeding Week.

Joining the Nestle boycott is an important way to participate in World Breastfeeding Week. Even if you can't commit to full-time boycotting, you could boycott during key times such as World Breastfeeding Week, Halloween, and Easter.

3) Give
If you have friends and family expecting a baby, give a breastfeeding friendly baby gift. Books are an excellent choice. There are "how-to" books as well as children's books showing normal nursing.

For Parents:

The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, 8th edition

Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers

The Nursing Mother's Companion, 6th edition

The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers

For Children:

We Like to Nurse

We Like to Nurse Too

What Baby Needs

If My Mom Were a Platypus: Mammal Babies and Their Mothers

Ruby's Baby Brother

4) Donate
World Breastfeeding Week is the perfect time to donate to an organization supporting breastfeeding. Some ideas are:

UNICEF

La Leche League

BACE-NMC

a local breastfeeding coalition such as Massachusetts Breastfeeding Coalition

Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine

World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action

United States Breastfeeding Committee

5) Share
Spread the word about World Breastfeeding Week, and the importance of breastfeeding. Share your story through social media and at support group meetings. Comment on blog posts such as this one, and share this and other breastfeeding posts through email and social media. Don't be afraid to talk about breastfeeding!

Let me know how you celebrated World Breastfeeding Week in my Comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment